What is Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

When carbon monoxide is inhaled it combines with the haemoglobin in red blood cells and reduces the oxygen carrying capabilities of the blood. Without oxygen the tissue and cells in the body begin to die and even small amounts of Carbon Monoxide can cause serious health problems if breathed in for prolonged periods of time.

Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are very similar to those of the flu which is just another reason why the real danger of CO is so hard to detect. Commonly somebody will complain of one, some or all of the symptoms in the early stages:

Getting
Headaches

Feeling
Dizzy

Feeling Sick / Nauseous

Getting Breathless Easily

Sudden
Collapse

Falling
Unconscious

If you or other members of your household or colleagues experience any of these symptoms, it may be worth bearing CO in mind. Other indicators are:

If you ever suspect that you or another person has been subject to Carbon Monoxide then you must urgently open all windows and doors if safe to do so, turn off any gas appliances, again if safe to do so, get outside into the fresh air, let neighbours know so that they are aware and then contact

Who to Call If You Experience Carbon Monoxide From An Appliance

If you do not think that you need to call the national helpline then you should call a Gas Safe registered engineer to come and check your appliances immediately.