With several deaths being prominent in the media this year due to carbon monoxide poisoning it is great news to hear that at long last there is a 10 year CO alarm available.
This new carbon monoxide alarm, from Kidde, not only has a sensor life of 10 years but is also fitted with a 10 year lithium battery. This means that once you have activated your CO alarm, you will not have to worry about when the sensor expires or how often you need to change batteries in the unit for 10 years. And at the end of the ten years the alarm will notify you of the end of its useful life.
This development gives the Kidde 8LLCO an extra 40% Lifespan over other CO alarms, giving families and businesses a long term cost saving but more importantly, greater peace of mind. As the alarm has a sealed-in lithium battery it cannot be removed by occupants and therefore is ideal not only for families but also for landlords and councils as well as housing associations.
It is refreshing to see that the industry is at long last making changes that will help the customer combat this silent killer. If you have a solid fuel appliance in your home and do not have a carbon monoxide alarm, then now is the time to purchase one. After all, once you have bought a Kidde 8LLCO CO alarm you will not need to think about it again for 10 years (Please note that CO alarms should still be tested regularly)
Many people are unaware of the devastating effects of carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon Monoxide has no colour, smell or taste and cannot be detected by the human senses. It is extremely dangerous, binding itself to the haemoglobin in red blood cells and preventing them from transporting oxygen around the body.
According to statistics released by the Office for National Statistics, throughout England and Wales, there are an average of over 60 deaths every year due to accidental exposure to carbon monoxide - up to 45% of which occur in the home.
Figures from the Department of Health and Social Care show that there are around 4000 cases of carbon monoxide poisoning treated in A&E Departments across England each year - even mild cases can exacerbate existing conditions such as respiratory illnesses, leading to fatalities.
According to the Chief Medical Officer (CMO) for England, around 200 per year are hospitalised in England and Wales as a result of accidental carbon monoxide poisoning.
A study of more than 27,000 properties by the Liverpool John Moores University, supported by the Merseyside and West Midlands Fire Services, found that less than 10% of homes have a single carbon monoxide alarm to protect occupants from this deadly gas.
Source: Liverpool John Moores University