Camping Safety

Summertime is underway, at least officially, and therefore so is camping season! Well-seasoned campers and enthusiastic novices alike are exploring the great outdoors, however, the occasional rains and cold spells force the campers back into the tents. What to do with the barbeque left outside in the rain? Take it inside the tent, leave it underneath the flaps of the tent in the hope of warming the tent at the same time? This could be an extremely dangerous mistake to make, as BBQs, especially when slowly dying down produce large amounts of carbon monoxide gas (shortened to CO) which is very dangerous. The gas is created in small amounts when burning fossil fuels such as coal, woods and LPG gas. The amount of CO increases rapidly if the fire does not burn at high temperatures or with sufficient oxygen. Hence, a BBQ with its dying embers produces large amounts of the gas. Carbon monoxi...

Read the full article

Gas Safety Trust launch funding for Accident and Emergency research

The symptoms of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning are very similar to flu and it is believed that when patients present at accident and emergency departments with symptoms such as headaches, dizziness and chest pain, that the diagnosis of carbon monoxide poisoning often goes undetected, meaning that patients are then discharged back into an environment that is a potential risk to their life.

The Gas Safety Trust, a charity set up in 2005 to provide funding into research and data collection connected to carbon monoxide exposure, has announced that it will be funding an extensive piece of research at an accident and emergency department at Frimley Park Hospital, Surrey. This research will hopefully give a clearer picture of the extent that UK residents are exposed to high levels of carbon monoxide and will enable health professionals to accurately diagnose CO poisoning.

Man...

Read the full article

Festival goers urged to wise up to the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning

An online poll of 2,000 people carried out by OnePoll on behalf of the Gas Safety Trust found that despite a sustained campaign over the last few years, almost half of those questioned (49%), who had been to a festival in the last six months, said that they would use a barbecue inside their tent.

The poll also found that as many as 61% of the same festival goers thought it safe to do the same with a gas cooker and that 52% of them would use a cooking appliance to heat the tent.

It was also discovered that four out of five campers fail to take a carbon monoxide (CO) alarm with them whilst over one third of campers overall would use a gas cooker inside the tent.

CO is a highly dangerous toxic gas that can kill. It is produced by any fossil fuel (e.g. gas, coal, oil, wood, charcoal) that burns incompletely. It has no smell, taste or colour

Commenting on th...

Read the full article

Carbon Monoxide Alarms Compulsory in Scotland

A new regulation in Scotland, which came into force at the beginning of October, has seen a change in building regulations that make it compulsory for a carbon monoxide alarm to be fitted when new or replacement boilers, fires, heaters and stoves are installed.

Planning Minister Derek Mackay said: "The Scottish Government recognises the devastating effect carbon monoxide poisoning can have on people's lives.

"Not a year goes by where there isn't an avoidable death in Scotland from carbon monoxide poisoning caused by faulty heating appliances in buildings. There are also a considerable number of incidents where people are treated in hospital for the effects of carbon monoxide poisoning."

The alarms must be fitted when boilers or other heating appliances are installed in houses, hotels, guest houses, care homes and any other buildings with bedrooms.

The initi...

Read the full article

Leading experts joins forces in the fight against the ‘silent killer’ Carbon Monoxide

The Institution of Gas Engineers and Managers has joined in partnership with gas distribution network Wales & West Utilities supported by the Carbon Monoxide All Fuels Action Forum to host a FREE one day conference to campaign and coordinate action against the unnecessary deaths, injuries and suffering caused by carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.

Taking place at Pride Park Stadium, Derby on 11th July 2013 this conference will bring leading experts from diverse fields and industries together to provide the facts and latest research findings on CO Poisoning, with Q&A sessions to bolster learning and dispel myths. Themed breakout sessions will enable attendees to share their views and collaborate with other individuals to recommend ways to raise overall awareness across all industries, improve CO detection and the technologies available which can help pr...

Read the full article

Lack of Ventilation Major Contributor to CO Camping Death

A pod similar to the one where the fatality occurred

A camping death in Cumbria in August 2012 , caused by carbon monoxide (CO) fumes from a barbeque, was exacerbated by the airtight conditions inside a camping ‘pod’.

All barbeques should carry warnings, telling people that they should only be used outdoors. Unfortunately this is often interpreted as a fire prevention message, whereas the real danger comes from carbon monoxide which is released during and even more so after cooking.

Recent tests carried out by the Cornwall Fire Service have found that emissions of this deadly gas actually increase as a...

Read the full article

Important Facts Presented at CO Awareness Launch

The launch of the Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week was held at the House of Lords on the 19th of November. The week is organised by CO-Aware, a charity that supports the many victims of Carbon Monoxide (CO) poisoning, their families and friends.

A number of very important facts were highlighted during the presentations.

Impact of Long-term Exposure to Carbon Monoxide

The first of these was the long term effects for people who had suffered long-term exposure to carbon monoxide but had seemingly recovered.  There is a common perception that, if a person has been removed from the source of carbon monoxide, they will suffer no long-term problems. Brain specialist Dr Steve White gave a presentation entitled ‘Neurobehavioural problems following CO exposure’ which detailed how exposure to the gas can have a long term effects, such as deteri...

Read the full article

10 Year Carbon Monoxide Alarm

With several deaths being prominent in the media this year due to carbon monoxide poisoning it is great news to hear that at long last there is a 10 year CO alarm available.

This new carbon monoxide alarm, from Kidde, not only has a sensor life of 10 years but is also fitted with a 10 year lithium battery. This means that once you have activated your CO alarm, you will not have to worry about when the sensor expires or how often you need to change batteries in the unit for 10 years. And at the end of the ten years the alarm will notify you of the end of its useful life.

This development gives the Kidde 8LLCO an extra 40% Lifespan over other CO alarms, giving families and businesses a long term cost saving but more importantly, greater peace of mind. As the alarm has a sealed-in lithium battery it cannot be removed by occupants and therefore is ideal not...

Read the full article

CO Awareness Week 2012 19th - 25th November

2012 has seen many deaths being reported in the media due to carbon monoxide poisoning. Some of the victims were campers, who were unaware of the dangers of taking a smouldering BBQ into their tents to keep warm, others were through faulty solid fuel appliances. All these tragic incidents are a sombre reminder that we should all be working hard to increase the awareness of carbon monoxide poisoning.

CO awareness week, November 19th to 25th, is about spreading information in the hope that lives can be saved. We all can take steps during this week to reduce the risk of CO poisoning. Ensure that, if you have not already done so, any solid fuel appliance are serviced or cleaned. This includes wood burning stoves, as well as open fires. Many people believe that carbon monoxide is restricted to gas appliances, but any appliance that burns gas, wood, oil or coal could give off carbon...

Read the full article

Don´t Forget to be CO Aware in the Festive Season

A lot of homes are now fitted with central heating and are so well insulated that open fires are only lit on special occasions to create a cosy ambience. For many, Christmas may be the only time they light their fire. Having open fires that are not regularly maintained could put your life at risk.

It is essential that before the festive season begins you ensure that your chimneys have been swept. This ensures that the coal and wood smoke will be expelled properly and will significantly reduce the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. It is also strongly recommended that you have a co alarm in every room where there is a solid fuel burning appliance; this can include kitchens with g...

Read the full article

Advice and Information

By Mail

Carbon Monoxide Info
c/o Safelincs Ltd
33 West Street
Alford
Lincolnshire
LN13 9DQ
United Kingdom

How to find us