Carbon Monoxide Alarms Compulsory in Scotland

A new regulation in Scotland, which came into force at the beginning of October, has seen a change in building regulations that make it compulsory for a carbon monoxide alarm to be fitted when new or replacement boilers, fires, heaters and stoves are installed.

Planning Minister Derek Mackay said: "The Scottish Government recognises the devastating effect carbon monoxide poisoning can have on people's lives.

"Not a year goes by where there isn't an avoidable death in Scotland from carbon monoxide poisoning caused by faulty heating appliances in buildings. There are also a considerable number of incidents where people are treated in hospital for the effects of carbon monoxide poisoning."

The alarms must be fitted when boilers or other heating appliances are installed in houses, hotels, guest houses, care homes and any other buildings with bedrooms.

The initiative has been well received by campaigners.

Louis Blake, from the Carbon Monoxide – Be Alarmed! campaign, said: "This change to the Scottish building regulations will see more detectors in Scottish homes, which will save lives. However, we urge people to act now to protect themselves from carbon monoxide and buy an alarm today."

Iain Johnstone, from Scots Gas Training, also welcomed the change in regulations. He believes that new appliances are intrinsically safe and that it is only poor workmanship that lets them down.

"It would be beneficial," he said, "if politicians would get together with the carbon monoxide alarm manufacturers and insurance companies to push for a retro-fit so every house in the country has an alarm.".

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Many people are unaware of the devastating effects of carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon Monoxide has no colour, smell or taste and cannot be detected by the human senses. It is extremely dangerous, binding itself to the haemoglobin in red blood cells and preventing them from transporting oxygen around the body.

60

Estimated Number of Deaths Every Year

According to statistics released by the Office for National Statistics, throughout England and Wales there are an average of over 60 deaths every year due to accidental exposure to carbon monoxide - up to 45% of which occur in the home.

Source: ONS, User Requested Data, Refs 006780 & 007476

4000

People Treated for CO Poisoning Every Year

Figure from the Department of Health show that there are around 4000 cases of carbon monoxide poisoning treated in A&E Departments across England each year - even mild cases can exacerbate existing conditions such as respiratory illnesses, leading to fatalities.

Source: The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents

10%

Percentage of UK Households with a CO Alarm

A study of more than 27,000 properties by the Liverpool John Moores University, supported by the Merseyside and West Midlands Fire Services, found that less than 10% of homes have a single carbon monoxide alarm to protect occupants from this deadly gas.

Source: Liverpool John Moores University

Share Your CO Story

Cookies

Close

This site uses cookies to improve your experience and for essential functioning of the site. By continuing to use our site you agree to the use of cookies.

Change your cookie settings at any time by clicking on the button at the bottom of each page. Read more about the cookies we use in our Privacy Policy.

By continuing to browse this site you agree to the use of cookies. Learn more.