A Weekend Away Saved the Day

"As a student nurse some years ago I lived in a house that I rented and shared with two other students. Despite all being in nursing we had never heard of carbon monoxide poisoning and it was a great shock to us to find out that the flu like symptoms we were all feeling were not in fact the flu but the beginning of carbon monoxide poisoning.

We found that during the evening sat in the living room we would feel headachy and lethargic and generally as if we were coming down with flu. During the day at work the symptoms got a little better but it was not until I had been away for the weekend that I realised that when I was out of the house I did not have a headache or flu symptoms but felt fine. When I returned home from the weekend within an hour or so I felt ill again. This was the point when we rang the gas board, who condemned the fire in the living room, explaining to us that as it had not been serviced for some time and was not burning the gas properly and as a result emitting carbon monoxide into our house.

Once the fire was repaired everything was fine. I am very cautious now though. I have a total of four CO alarms in my house, one in each room where I have an open fire and one in the boiler room. I would urge everybody who has an appliance that could emit carbon monoxide to get an alarm, better safe than sorry. "

A.D - Lincolnshire

Thanks again for ‘saving our lives!

"‘Still working, but at the end of its serviceable life’, was the description the surveyor gave of the ancient oil-fired boiler in our newly bought Georgian house. Friends recommended that we install a Carbon Monoxide alarm and we were relieved when the alarm did not sound when the boiler was first switched on.

However, three months later we were woken by the loud sounding of the alarm and discovered that the boiler had started leaking Carbon Monoxide. We feel eternally grateful to our friends for making us aware of the silent killer in our midst and are now looking to replace the boiler as soon as possible. "

Mrs G

Near Miss with Badly Fitted Gas Fire

"When my family and I moved into our house six years ago there was a gas fire in the living room. This had been fitted only eighteen months earlier and had, apparently, hardly been used. It was a fairly sophisticated fire as it had a remote control to turn the flame up and down. When the weather became cooler we started using the fire but I was rather disappointed that the remote control seemed to work only intermittently and I eventually gave up using it.

After a few nights, however, we noticed that the fire was emitting a slightly peculiar smell and a friend who stayed complained of a headache when in the room. Fortunately I decided to call in a gas engineer. It turned out that the fire had been fitted incorrectly and that the plastic box, housing the electronics within the workings of the fire that was controlled by the remote, had melted quite badly. This had caused the smell. Whether or not it had actually started leaking carbon monoxide is something I do not know as at that time we hadn’t got round to fitting a carbon monoxide alarm. (And of course carbon monoxide itself is odourless).

I asked the engineer if he could remove the electronics and just leave us with a basic fire. Unfortunately this was not possible and the fire had to be condemned. I found the paperwork for the installation that had been left by the previous owner and contacted the company that installed it. Not surprisingly they said it was out of guarantee and washed their hands of it.

Now that I know a lot more about the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning I wish I had taken a far more assertive line with them and can only hope that the same mistake has not been made elsewhere. We now have a wood burning stove!"

Mr T

Share Your CO Story

If you have a carbon monoxide story that you would like to share with us please contact our campaign office.

By Mail

Carbon Monoxide Info
c/o Safelincs Ltd
33 West Street
Alford
Lincolnshire
LN13 9DQ
United Kingdom